Thursday, January 21, 2010

Mister Pistol’s Party Poppers (Vegetarian)



INGREDIENTS
1 cup real mayonnaise
2 cups sharp white cheddar cheese, shredded
1 8-oz can black olives, sliced
2-3 tbsp onion, diced
1 loaf tiny rye bread (cocktail rye)

Ahhh… Mr. Pistol’s Party Poppers – they’ve got to be good with a name like that, right?! But who, you ask, is Mr. Pistol, and why does this gun-slinging mystery man make party poppers? These are all good questions, dear Watson! Why, Mr. Pistol is a friend of mine, my former roller derby bench coach, and husband of my former teammate, Pistol Whip. Confused? All you really need to know is that when there’s a party, Mr. Pistol does the cooking, because he’s the shit. Over the years I’ve asked him for several of his recipes, and although I got this one straight from the horse’s mouth, I think he may have held a little something back from me, because I swear his party poppers taste better than mine did!

I made this recipe last weekend for what turned out to be a devastating end-of-season playoff run for the Ravens. In doing so, I made the mixture at home and then brought it and the bread to bake at the party. So the Ravens played like shit – at least the food was good, right?













QUICK & DIRTY
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine mayo, cheese, olives, and onion. Place a tablespoon dollop of Mister Pistol’s mixture onto each slice of tiny rye. Bake for 15 minutes.

ROOKIE COOKIES
See Quick & Dirty, above, cause this is the EASIEST recipe ever – you don’t need to know how to cook to make it!

TIPS & JUSTIFICATIONS
Even though I got a TON of compliments on these little buggers, they didn’t come out exactly like they do when Mr. Pistol cooks them, as I mentioned above. Although I can’t really pinpoint why, I do suspect the consistency of the popper topping would have been better had it been mixed in a food processer. I, however, got frustrated when cleaning my food processor several years ago and threw the damn thing out, so I hand-mixed the popper topping. Oh, well.


Vegans, how does Vegenaise bake? Does it hold up? I think I’m gonna score some from my local health-food store, The Health Concern, and see how it does when warmed. Of course, you’d need veggie cheese too, but I know some good veggie cheese that melt better than others (Veggie Slices).

If you’re from Baltimore or ever in the area, look out for Mr. Pistol cruising the streets of Hampden with his and Pistol Whip’s new burrito truck. Word is they’ll be open after all other dining choices close. So before stumbling home, stumble to the burrito truck for some good treats – I even hear there will be vegetarian and vegan options available!

1 comment:

  1. I have not baked with vegenaise, but I have mixed into mashed tempeh that was still warm, and it was fine. My mom used to make something like this when we were kids (it was a favorite of my sister and me!) but she mixed in cream cheese with the mayo. I think if the vegenaise got too runny upon heating, it might help to mix in some tofutti cream cheeze. Also, I wouldn't bother with soy cheeze in this recipe, since most of them are gross. Follow Your Heart isn't bad, but I wouldn't feed it to omnis. I will say, though that I have heard tell of delicious melty vegan cheezes out there, but I have never seen or tried them.

    ReplyDelete